Tuesday, August 18, 2009


Carolyn Currie

In May 1996, Carolyn Currie’s CD, “No Heroes” was reviewed by Jessie Shires in the last issue of femme musique. This is part of that review.

“This album is perfect Sunday afternoon or late, late night music. It deserves more attention than most – this is not background music. I suggest clearing your schedule and devoting yourself to listening. Be prepared to experience insight, reflection, humor, and beauty. Currie’s distinctive voice weaves through your thoughts, binding itself permanently to the fabric of your brain. Her music has a cool, layered sound and is utterly spell-binding. Just try to concentrate on something else, I dare you. It’s quite impossible to not give your full attention to Currie; her enchanting voice, music, and exceptional lyrics simply will not allow it.”

I contacted Carolyn through her website and asked if she could send me her latest album, thinking I would try to figure out how her music has progressed. Bless her heart, if she didn’t send me copies of all four of her CDs!

It’s taken awhile for me to go through all of them. I knew I enjoyed “No Heroes,” but it’s familiar to me. You know what I mean, you are in a particular mood and put the CD in, knowing the songs will complement or affirm what you’re feeling. I went through “Standing Stones,” which has a decided Celtic influence, then on to “Kiss of Ghosts.” Currie’s writing has retained its intelligent, insightful tone. Her child-like, sweet voice has matured and gained confidence, while continuing to evoke a certain wistful longing for understanding.

Then I came to “Waves of Silence,” her latest venture. In her introduction to the album, she writes, “When I left the Northwest five years ago, I think somewhere in the back of my mind was the fear that my muse would cross her arms over her chest and say, “No way, I’m not going back to New England – you’re on your own.”” Maybe it’s just that I am an East Coast kind of person, but I think this album is Currie’s best.

From the topical “Rain,” a mother’s lament for her children’s mental safety in response to news from Iraq, to the timeless plea of a woman waiting for the safe return of her sea-faring mate in “Ahab’s Wife,” Currie doesn’t disappoint. “Kaleidoscope” reminds me of one of my dear friends, who can’t seem to stay in one place; “Rolling Thunder” describes a friend’s brother, a veteran battling the effects, mental and physical of having served in Viet Nam. There are Currie’s versions of love songs, which seem to include a bit of disillusionment, and, one of my favorites, “Don’t Run with Scissors,” an affirmation of talent and courage.

“I say, “I’m scared of falling”
You say, “But you can fly.”

All told, “Waves of Silence” is a joy. Currie knows how to wring the truth from some of life’s small moments, as well as shine a light on hidden fears. The production is simple, doesn’t distract from her clear, tremulous voice. She and her co-producer, David Lange have worked together on all of her albums, and their mutual trust is evident. If you enjoy intelligent ballads, you’ll love Carolyn Currie.


Discography:

“No Heroes” 1994 Alta Vista Records
“Standing Stones” 1998 Whistling Pig Records
“Kiss of Ghosts” 2004 North C Records
“Waves of Silence” 2009 High Horse Records

http://carolyncurrie.com/

www.myspace.com/carolyncurrie

http://www.highhorserecords.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment