Saturday, August 1, 2009

Back in 1994, I published five issues of a small magazine, called femme musique. This was part of the editorial for the first issue.

“A friend and I were riding in my car, a Jane Siberry cassette in the tape deck. A song I’m particularly fond of came on, and I enthusiastically turned up the volume, wanting to share the tune. The song has a hook; it’s “catchy.” It is silly and light; it makes me feel good, particularly when I need an attitude adjustment. It has “no redeeming social value,” just funny, descriptive images and a bouncy beat. This seemed to prompt my friend to comment about the lack of innovation in, what he called, “today’s music.” I can’t remember who he said was responsible for the last “breakthrough,” but it was a male group, at least twenty years ago.”

I think the women in music are terrific. I’d like to explore their music here.

No comments:

Post a Comment